Thursday, February 3, 2011

This week's menu with a recipe

Here is the menu of what we've made so far this week and what is coming up in the next few days:

Saturday - Hamburgers, pasta salad
Sunday - Homemade Ravioli with homemade pasta sauce (I don't know why I didn't take any pictures
Monday - Pot Roast
Tuesday - Taylor's Tacos (with the leftovers from the pot roast)
Wednesday - Pizza
Thursday - Bean Burritos
Friday - Baked Potatoes with chili
Saturday - BBQ Chicken Salad
Sunday - Navajo Tacos

With each menu, I will include a recipe from one of the meals. This week it will be Taylor's Tacos. It's called that, because our friend Taylor shared this recipe with us and it's great, because we can use leftover pot roast meat. (Thanks Taylor!)

TAYLOR'S TACOS

Since the roast is already cooked, you don't need to do much more than just heat it up on the stove and shred it. You can add a little bit of water every once in awhile, so it doesn't dry out. Then you just add these spices to the meat:

2 t. instant minced onions
1 t. salt
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. cornstarch
1/2 t. crushed red pepper
1/2 t. instant minced garlic (I use fresh garlic, one clove)
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. dried oregano

I would say we end up with about 1 pound leftover roast, so you can of course double, or half the spices, depending on how much meat you have. (I actually buy a big roast, so that I will have leftovers to make this the following day.)

Then we fry corn tortillas on the stove. We use about 1/4 cup of vegetable oil (to liberally cover the bottom of the pan) until it's warm enough to heat up the tortillas and make them crispy.

Last but not least, we make some pico de gallo to top our tacos with. I use equal parts tomato, onion and cilantro. About 1 roma tomato, 1/4 cup of onions and 1/4 a cup of cilantro. A dash of salt and some lime juice.

Then of course, you can add sour cream, guacamole, cheese, etc. Whatever your little heart desires. ENJOY!

I will have pictures on other posts, I just started this and didn't think to take pictures :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yum! This sounds so good! I usually use our left overs in a bbq black bean burrito, Jason's favorite, but I'm getting a little tired of it. I'll have to give this one a try next time we have roast!

    ReplyDelete