Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Homemade Baby Food

I decided that I'm going to make Dane's baby food instead of buying it from the store. I'm really excited about it and did my first batch today. It's REALLY easy and doesn't take long at all. I started with butternut squash.

(Photo courtesy of aroundcrownsville.com)

The first thing you do, is cut it lengthwise like the picture above. Then you scoop out the seeds (like you would a pumpkin). You then put it "meat" side down in a baking dish and cover it with about 1 inch of water. You bake it at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour. If you stick it with a fork and it goes in easy, then it's done.

After it's finished cooking, you scoop it out of the skin and put it into a bowl. I used a cookie scooper, makes it super easy. I added some of the water that I cooked it in, to make it the consistency I was looking for. I used my hand immersion blender to mix it well. Then I put it into ice cube trays. One "cube" is about 1 oz. After it was frozen, I dumped the cubes into a ziplock bag, labeled it and it stays good for 3 months!

I took out 2 cubes and put them in the microwave for about 30 seconds, mixed it up, made sure it wasn't too hot or cold and Dane just ate it all up!

1 comment:

  1. awesome tiff! I have never tried to make baby food, but you make it sound so simple! Maybe I'll try it this go round, it would definitely be MUCH cheaper I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete